CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: My Stuff  (Read 1795 times)

cae2100

• Foundry
My Stuff
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:14:23 AM »

I figured I would try to get something to add here, but being unable to upload pics tends to put a damper on alot of it, but I ended up finding a video where it had a little bit of the machinery that I have.

I have a 9x40 monarch junior lathe from around 1916 from the info I found on it, a 7 inch rhodes shaper which I just completely rebuilt and restored and from what I can figure out, it's probably early to mid 1920s based off of the serial number on it, a 1900-1902 canedy and otto no 24 camelback drill press, and an old kneebuster blacksmithing vise from around 1890s-1910. (try using it and you'll know why I call it a kneebuster) So far, I have to say that the shaper is defenitly the one that Im most proud of and using the most usually.

Most of my metalworking stuff is 1890s-1925, and most of my woodworking stuff is 1951-1952, and is also made mostly of old cast iron. The scroll saw is a 5 inch scroll saw, which is extremely hard to find normal blades for anymore, but I just take coping saw blades, which is 5 inch and knock out the pins in them, it works just as well. Ive used it a few times to cut sprues off of aluminum castings since it's actually designed so that can be done and to cut hard lead and such. I primarilly use it tho for roughing out parts for patterns. which is handy because you can cut much bigger stuff really easily that you cant even try on a modern one. I also have an old cast iron table saw that I restored that I found just sitting in a barn that the guy just wanted out of his way and was nothing but solid rust as most of my machinery that come to me is.

I also have a little 1x30 belt sander that I had gotten from family for christmas, which is the newest thing that I have really, and the flimsiest thing too, lol. I also have a large craftsman toolbox that I found in the scrap pile to be junked, it had a few holes rusted in it, and the bottom handle had rusted off, but I took some swimming pool lining, the steel stuff that looks kinda like a 90 degree triangle with a small opening at the bottom to slip over the top of the wall of the swimming pool I think, I welded that onto the part of the drawer that had rusted off and patched up the other holes and such with sheet metal and bondo/primer, then gave it a nice coat of paint. It now looks like it just came out of the factory and you would never know that it was in that bad of shape. With the pool molding over the top of the drawer front, it adds major rigity and looks exactly like the other drawers. Without really looking really close, you wouldnt even notice that it was even different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9gjosboloU

I know it's a mess, we have a 3 1/2 car garage and managed to fit 5 cars in there for storage, and my machinery until I get my shop finished. The color of blue that the woodworking stuff is a ford blue, so in person, its a deep blue color, but in the pics, it looks kinda crappy light blue for some reason.

My shop that we're building is maid mostly of oak rough wood, with the rough wood layered, which we've gotten much more done on the video below, so two sides are done and we have siding on it. Its a 12x16 building, so hopefully is big enough to store all of my stuff including my molding box and everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elc6yr3Y2qM

Dont mind the junk in the building, the engine, I was planning on using to build my generator/air compressor, and the riding mower rear end, I was going to use to build a larger sand muller so I can mull more sand at a time, so thats why all of that stuff was there, lol.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 05:24:55 AM by cae2100 »

woodguy

Re: My Stuff
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 12:16:15 PM »

We have the same disease - my wife calls it "horizontal surface syndrome". I never met a horizontal surface I couldn't pile stuff on.  No cure unfortunately.  If you get more space there are just more surfaces.

I try to fight it - believe me I try. 

I like that little shaper - there are times one of those would be really handy.

cae2100

• Foundry
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 01:44:50 PM »

yea, I dont have any real storage for anything, so it's just sitting there for the time being till I can actually get it out of the garage and out of storage to put into the shop and into cupboards. Usually I my stuff all put away except what Im using, but I ended up with a bunch of old woodworking tools somehow and not sure what to do with any of them really yet.

That shaper was a total mess when I had gotten it, and was actually just a large pile of rust and it was actually rusted together so it was completely locked up. After I had gotten the thing running and the T nuts made, that thing has been in use almost nonstop when I was home machining castings. It gives a glass smooth finish and leaves really no machining marks, it just looks like a mirror when it's done taking a cut. Everyone always talked about how slow it is, but the way mine is, it just breezes through all of my stuff without any trouble and I can usually knock out a half a dozen castings per hour, which is about the same as a milling machine for me due, also when the bits go dull, I can just re-hone them and they're good to go again where as a milling cutter, you have to send it back out. Ive found it can do pretty much everything a milling machine can do for what I want to do, just some stuff you have to get a little more creative than others to actually machine it, lol.

The shaper has seriously been a godsend tbh when cleaning up the castings, the shaper just loves the cast aluminum and gives an extremely good finish. Ive also used it to machine some hardened steel holders for carbide bits so that I could fit them into my lathe, and it didnt even try with that. I just used HSS for that, and they had to be machined down a bit due to being over center height, so they were useless unless they were machined down. The bit was 3/4" tall, and from the washer on the tool post to the center height was 5/8ths, so a very small amount had to be removed.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 02:47:51 PM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 01:45:56 AM »

That is some nice looking vintage machinery there.

The shaper is a beauty to watch.
I can remember those things from days gone by, and I actually used one in about 1980.

If I had the space, I would consider getting a shaper.

Seems like the older machine tools were built much better than the new ones.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• Foundry
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 01:53:25 AM »

yea, after I used a bridgeport, I got familiar with machining castings and work holding, but I would easily choose the shaper over the bridgeport any day of the week really, it's much cheaper on tooling, much slower but easier to run, and gives a far better finish imo, I never liked the swirled circle look that a milling machine leaves tbh and the shaper leaves almost like a ground finish on everything except extruded aluminum, which I dont deal with much anyhow. Also the fact that it easily machines hardened steel is a serious plus over a milling machine also along with the fact that I can shape, resharpen and rehone my own bits rather than having to send an already expensive bit out to be sharpened, which will cost more money, or just toss it and get new ones.

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 02:07:03 AM »

Yep, I really like the idea of being able to use tool steel bits, and you even have the option of shaping the bits in different configurations.
Can't do that will a mill.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• Foundry
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »

Here's my stuff, now that I am able to post pics on here, It'll fill out the page better with something that isnt in video form.

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2017, 03:19:22 PM »

That shop really turned out well.
I think you could sell plans for that.

And you have a nice collection of machine tools to go with it.
Doesn't get much better than that.
Smarter not Harder