CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: Holmes County Steam Show  (Read 85 times)

cae2100

• STEAM
Holmes County Steam Show
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:14:03 PM »

Here's another steam show in ohio, steam and farm shows and festivals are almost an everyday occourance here, and here's the one coming up next weekend in holmes county, around berlin ohio. Ive never been to this one before, but just saw signs scattered all over the place, so Ill try to get a good bit of pictures and video to see what it is like.

Here's the link for the festival, and Ill try to post pics and such afterwards.
http://www.hcsea.com/summershow.php

I have no idea what to expect, but it gets me out of the house for a few hours, and Im meeting up with a few amish friends up there also that are also really big into steam.

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
Re: Holmes County Steam Show
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:19:20 PM »

That looks like a good one.

All the big shows seem to be in the Midwest.

I have been to Mt. Pleasant, and a few others up and down the corn belt.

Nice shows.  Some are too big, and they end up roping off everything, and you get very limited access to seeing things up close.

The large shows have more stuff, but are more impersonal, and are more like big county fairs.

The smaller shows are more casual, and I like the informal shown thing.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:56:59 PM »

I dont really go to many "country fairs", I do live in the middle of nowhere, but I always felt more at home in the city. We would go to new york city for vacation and everyone would get lost almost right away, but I made my way all over the city in no time, I just liked the chaos and randomness of the city, and I liked being within walking distance to pretty much anything I wanted to go to see. Where I live, it's around 20-30 mins to the nearest city, and I honestly wouldnt even count it as a city tbh, so there's no stores, nothing to do really and nowhere to really go. I never was into the "country" stuff in all honesty, and these farm shows, I mainly just go for the steam engines, but other than that, I just stay away from it.

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 11:27:59 PM »

There are some major benefits of living in a semi-large city, like having a fantastic walk-in steel supply warehouse that has every size and shape piece of steel you can imagine.
I bought some steel there the other day for the first time, but my dad use to buy steel there all the time.

The downside is that the pieces are 20 feet long, but even with their additional cutting fees, the prices are a fraction of what you would pay in a hardware store, and the selection for all practical purposes is infinite.

Also if one hardware store does not have what you want, there are at least 6 other ones to try.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »

The event wasnt as big as I thought it would be as usual, but it was still alot of fun. I ended up more or less getting dragged away because they took my nephew, and he started getting tired and acting up, so we had to leave early. Here's the video of what I saw was there:

Part 1 - The steam traction engines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tzLQlkqH_M
Part 2 - Hit & Miss/Hot Tube Diesel Engines/pics of the other engines, a really antique car, and some tractors that my father wanted pics of for my grandfather.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-h_tdmOGco

Also, I found an odd one for you, it's a return flue boiler style traction engine, which evidently are pretty rare to see, there were two of them running there and they were really neat to watch due to all of the gears all over them as they were driving around. They had a Huber brand on them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KEszcoE_LM

Over all, it was defenitely alot of fun, and I did get alot more pics, but most of the other ones are just the farm tractors. I also met a fellow youtuber there, he goes by steamcrane on youtube, and he's been to steam festivals all over the place, but never to soule, so we stood there talking for a few about soule festival, lol. Im pretty sure that we'll see him there this year probably, lol.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:53:54 AM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 07:14:10 PM »

Great photos and videos; it was almost like being there.

Lots of interesting stuff in those videos, and some fairly rare items compared to what I have seen at shows, such as the return boilers (never seen one of those in person), the uniflow engine (I would love to build a vertical scale model uniflow), and everything running under load too so you can hear the engine working, unlike many museum engines that are either run by an electric motor, or worse yet welded solid so nobody and rotate or move anything (yes I have seen this).

That side piston on the oil field engines is interesting, and I guess is the valve?   I will have to study that a bit.

Cool show; too bad you had to leave early.
I could spend weeks at a show if the wife would let me.

Steamcrane has some interesting videos online; I watched a few of those.

Thanks for posting; good stuff.
And it proves the point that I always tell people, which is no matter how many shows you go to, or how many steam engines you have seen, you will always see something you have never seen before, and never imagined possible.
That is why I like steam so much.

Its like dinosaurs; every shape, size and type, and so many unique and different types.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 07:16:55 PM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 08:59:16 PM »

I have some other videos also that I didnt upload, but they were really up close of the one type of engine that had the frame open like the O&S engine, I was looking at it really up close at all different angles to see where the parting lines and everything were at since it was almost identical to the O&S, only flipped in reverse so the open area is on the left side rather than the right. I'll have to look through them again to see what I can find, then after the current engine is finished, Ill start making the patterns for the body of the O&S. There's another festival here in a week or two, only multiple times bigger, so Ill get much more pictures and video of some more engines like it to study them so I can see where all of the parting lines are and see how they were actually cast. If it wasnt for not understanding how they were cast, my first engine would have probably been the O&S tbh, lol.

Im not honestly sure on the hot tube/bulb engines, Ive never seen one in person before, yet alone a full sized one, so I honestly wasnt sure how they actually worked. The pistons were both the same size, so maybe they were dual cylinder design. I have no clue how the thing actually worked, but they did seem out of phase of each other, so I dont think it would have been the acting as a valve.

There were quite a few of the uniflow engines, and I was talking to the owner, he actually owned two of them there and they actually just made new boilers for them. I asked them where they got them made and he said that they had built the boilers themselves with the help of the one guy that builds alot of the boilers for steam engines.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 09:06:20 PM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »

Looks like the Reid engine is a two stroke, and apparently (if I am reading it correctly) does not have typical rocker arms and poppet valves, but rather one or more check valves.

Exhausts through ports low in the cylinder bore.

A clever engine design, and looks to be very reliable.

http://www.oldengine.org/docs/Reid_PM.pdf
Smarter not Harder