CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: Chirpy's Shop  (Read 81 times)

cae2100

• STEAM
Chirpy's Shop
« on: September 09, 2017, 07:23:14 AM »

We've been working on my new shop for 2 or 3 years now, and it's starting to finally get ready to start moving machinery into it sometime soon. (hopefully) The plan is to get everything ready to move in by october 1st, or start moving the machinery in. My laptop died a while ago and I lost alot of my pictures of what the shop looked like with the internal walls and everything going up, so there's a big gap, but I did manage to find the older pics of it being built.

The shop is a 12x18 building I believe with old, seasoned, and stabalized oak and rock maple floors, siding, and the rest is completely overbuilt, lol. I plan on getting the countershaft set up in it soon, for the lathe, and maybe one for the new saw. The walls are done half in OSB, which was going to have sheet metal over it to act as a spark guard, but we realized that I didnt have enough sheet metal to do it, so we just painted it and Ill put the sheet metal where it's really needed. The top half of the walls are done in T13 I believe, which is similar to T1-11, but has narrower slats to it. The floors, we just finished up and I found a gallon of old shellac, the same stuff you would use on foundry patterns at the turn of the century, and we just put it on there to seal it up. When it's done, it'll be beyond rock solid, while still being able to move so that there's no additional taxes because of it and so that if I move later on, i can move the shop to the new location. Right now, it's pretty empty because there's no machinery in it and we were shellacking the floor, so it echos really badly, but once everything starts to get moved in, it'll get rid of the echo.

The place is extremely insulated, we have two layers of aluminized 3/4" insulation on the ceiling, and the walls have a single layer of that with fiberglass insulation behind that. The wood absorbs any humidity like crazy, so where my machinery was rusting before, the stuff inside of the shop, even tho the rafters were still open a bit to the outside air, the stuff inside of the shop didnt rust really at all. With it all sealed up and insulated now, it'll never have the stuff inside of it rust. It's so well insulated that I can turn on a low powered air conditioner when it's 90s outside and within 10-15 mins, it's down in the 60s in there, same with a small space heater in the winter, it wont take much to heat it at all, and it'll stay warm in there for hours. I make people laugh by telling them not to fart in there, the place is so well insulated that it'd be weeks before I could get it back out, lol.

The shop is also designed to be self heating and cooling in a way. During the summer when it's hot out, the trees block the sun from the shop most of the day except maybe 2-3 hours, and during the winter, the leaves fall off of the trees and the shop stays in full sun all day, so it heats the shop during the cold seasons automatically, and stays shaded during the summer. The windows and doors are positioned so that when you open them up, it creates a windtunnel effect, so it'll create a really cool breeze, even when there's no breeze outside, and will drop the temperature of the inside of the shop to around 70 degrees within a few minutes at most, even when it's much hotter outside.

Also, we still need to put the bottom/floor molding on, we had cut that up yesterday and was about to start painting it before putting it up, but we had some storms coming in, so we just put everything away for the night, so that'll be put on soon, hence why the molding is missing at the bottom of the last two pics.

Anyways, here's the pics that I can find, if I can find more, Ill upload them also.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 07:48:44 AM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
Re: Chirpy's Shop
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:48:51 PM »

That is some really nice framing and carpentry work there.

It is really nice to have some space dedicated to a shop, and even nicer when you can get some heat and AC going.

The portable building concept is a good idea in my opinion, and I do the same thing.

You have a very nice shop space now.
Great work.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
Re: Chirpy's Shop
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 06:10:50 PM »

yea, the carpentry is all my father, I dont have a single bit of woodworking in my blood, lol. Thats why I make patterns way oversize so I can machine them to size rather than trying to fit things just right first time, lol. I try hitting a nail and usually hit the wrong nail, and blood gets all over the place and I just make a mess out of everything, lol. The last time i tried making something out of wood was my table saw base, and I had it all perfectly measured out and everything, but when I put it together, it rocked worse than anything and I ended up having to take a belt sander to the bottom of it for a few hours just fighting to get it to sit flat. At least with as many screws as I had in that thing, I never had to worry about it falling apart, but with that much steel in the wood, I could have just welded the stuff together and glued wood to it to make it look the same, lol.

The shop space is nice and it looks nice, but we still dont have any machinery in there, and the place is still running from an extension cord, so cant run anything in there atm anyhow. Hopefully we can rectify that soon tho.

I was looking at a project for the lathe for a while now, and Im really not sure how Im going to do it, but I know that Ill need the lathe, shaper, and the saw to even get started on it. I was going to try making my own quick change tool post for the lathe, but Im not sure if I have any steel blocks to make the tool holders out of, so Ill have to try to figure that out when I get to that point, lol.