CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: Age of Steam RoundHouse  (Read 39 times)

cae2100

• STEAM
Age of Steam RoundHouse
« on: October 08, 2017, 11:01:30 AM »

This was a private tour, which the place isnt open to the public normally because it's a full running roundhouse and repair shop, sparks flying and all. Most of these locomotives are in working condition and they take them out on the mainline periodically to run them. They only do tours once every few months or so, but here is a video of the place and the pictures from our tour. It was so bright and windy that it was difficult to get decent video, but there's still alot of stuff not in the pictures that is in the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67E-9Z-VnbQ

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:17:19 AM by cae2100 »

cae2100

• STEAM
Re: Age of Steam RoundHouse
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 11:07:32 AM »

More Pictures
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 11:07:58 AM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 05:00:31 PM »

I just read this post.

Wow, that is a fantastic place.
Talk about stepping into yesterday.

Looks like their web page is located here:
http://www.ageofsteamroundhouse.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=featured&Itemid=117

What a place.  I could spend some time there.

It seems like you have a lot more old iron places up north, I guess due to the concentration of industrialization up there.

Thanks for posting; very nice pictures and video.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »

yea, the place was defenitely alot of fun seeing all of that, but normally, it's not open to the public due to safety reasons. It's a full operating roundhouse and they work on the engines there, so there's sparks flying and pieces of the engines laying around as they're working on the stuff, so it's not open to the public. We got in with a group from the local steam club. A large portion of the engines there actually gets taken out on the mainline, just to haul cargo around. I think there was 19 engines in the roundhouse, and around 2 dozen diesel and electric ones out in the yard.

The place was actually the one guy's person collection, lol. He used to own central ohio railroad, but wanted to get out of it, so he sold it, and built that roundhouse and bought all of those locomotives off of the interest alone. It was to stay closed to the public until his passing, and he ended up passing away a few weeks ago. It's set up now that the place will run forever off of the interest alone.