CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: Algonquin Mill Festival 2017  (Read 118 times)

cae2100

• STEAM
Algonquin Mill Festival 2017
« on: October 08, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »

Im not sure what happened to the old algonquin festival page, but here's another. It's coming up at the end of the week, so Ill be getting plenty of pictures and video from that. Here's some info, just copied from the algonquin page. Last year was alot of fun, and it sounds like this year will be even bigger. There's tons of steam traction engines, stationary steam engines, a small steam train that takes the kids around, blacksmithing, and a large amount of hit & miss engines too.

234 Autumn Rd SW, Carrollton, OH  44615

October  13 - 14 - 15, 2017
Held Rain or Shine
Friday, Saturday, & Sunday

At the Mill Complex, four miles south of Carrollton on State Route 332

Admission $8.00 per vehicle

Tour buses welcome by prearrangement 1-877-727-0103
Camping $15.00 Per Night (Thurs, Fri, Sat) - No pets please.

All exhibits open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

The main page for the event is here:
http://carrollcountyhistoricalsociety.com/mill/millfest.htm

« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:40:20 PM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
Re: Algonquin Mill Festival 2017
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 04:28:26 PM »

The previous Algonquin info was in the videos section.  I have moved it back to the "Shows" section here:

http://www.classicsteamengineering.com/index.php?topic=1227.0

I will have to see what sort of drive time I am up against.
It would be nice to get out and attend something with some steam engines.

Edit:
Unfortunately that is in excess of a 12 hr drive for me, so no way I can make it.
Get lots of photos and videos if you can.

Thanks for the heads up.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 04:48:31 PM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 07:52:43 AM »

lol, you said to take lots of pictures and video, so prepared for this topic to start getting crowded... Here's video from friday, which is the slow day, saturday is uploading now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go06z7RPRIY

and here is a motherload of pictures, lol
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 10:37:43 AM by cae2100 »

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 08:10:02 AM »

more pics

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2017, 08:27:47 AM »

and even more from friday.

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2017, 08:46:00 AM »

and the last few from friday, Ill upload saturday's pictures when the video finishes uploading, which may be in the morning.

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »

ok, here's part 2: Saturday. I didnt get very many pics, but I got tons of good video. You can see the parking for just the one area, then on the other side of the state route, it was just as many cars too to show how massive this place usually is. I was glad that we had good weather the whole time. I loved seeing the power hacksaw running from the hit & miss engine. I forgot to get some pics of it, but it's in the video too.

I spend a good part of the day playing with the train and the mini traction engines, but there was hit and miss engines and model steam engine booths set up as far as you could see, and multiple rows as you can see in the video. There's quite a big difference in stuff on the second video vs the first one as you can see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8iJFn3kSQE
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 08:28:10 PM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 04:29:17 AM »

Great photos, thanks for posting those.

Lots to see at that Festival; wish I had time to attend.

Several things I have never seen; a lathe with a hand crank on the end, a Matag lawnmower.

Some really big chain saws.

NOTE:  Click on any photo once to enlarge it.

Weather looked to be fabulous.
I little bad weather can really ruin a show.

Lots of wide open space; I like that.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 04:31:20 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 05:00:52 AM »

I just watched the video.

Very interesting to see it all running.

I need to make a uniflow.

Great show.
Wish I were there.
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2017, 05:42:52 AM »

thanks, the weather really was nice, did you see the video for the second part, which was on saturday? It had the train and such in it along with a bunch of hit & miss engines, stuff that I didnt cover in the first one. I had probably 3-4 hours worth of video but had to edit it out to make it fit in a watchable length video. I really loved all of the steam whistles blowing all around the place and was having too much fun with the live steam train on saturday, lol.

I was talking to the guy that owns and runs the baker uniflow engine, and he said that there is actually a wierd spool valve setup in that thing rather than a balanced D-valve setup. It has a 3 part spool valve in it, which the steam goes through each part of the spool valve. I cant really think of how it would work, but does sound interesting.

We did have beautiful weather for the event, it was mid to low 70s, a few clouds in the sky and no real humidity. The only thing is, with the sun on you all day, any bald spots on your head tends to start hurting afterwards, lol. My face and head is all burnt from just running around all day long and just having fun the whole time.

I talked to the president of the historical society that sets up the festival each year, and I was wondering what it would take to set up a booth over there next year to show the casting stuff. The few people I talked to it just seemed like they were ready to jump out of thier seats when I explained what it actually was that I do and was wanting to do there. I can pretty much guarantee that about half of the staff there will be gone from thier stations when that furnace gets started up, lol. I just need to call and talk to him sometime in august, and they'll work everything out to get me my own private area set up. The one lady was kinda iffy, but as soon as she realized that I wasnt going to be selling anything, that there's nothing else like that ever been there, and that Im only doing a demonstration, she was ok with it. She said as long as it brings in the crowd, lol. Im pretty sure that will happen, lol.

I wish you could have been there also, that would have been awesome. I joined a local steam club and went to one of the meetings, but met a bunch of the people there and ran around with them most of the day, hence how I got alot of the video that I had gotten, and I had people come up to me that recognized me from youtube and wanted pics and was wanting to get me into places that I normally wouldnt be able to go, like the cab of the locomotive in the second video or the boiler room of the mill, which has always been shut off from the public minus the overhead lookout that you cant really see that much. It was really interesting to say the least, and I defenitely had fun, lol.

Also, I know about clicking on the photo to enlarge it, lol.

Edit: Here's the second day, saturday's video in case you missed it. The place expanded like 2-3 times on saturday vs friday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8iJFn3kSQE
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:44:17 AM by cae2100 »

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2017, 05:53:30 AM »

I often look at photos here and forget that I can click on them to enlarge them.
I don't think other forums do that? or maybe they do.

For all the detail in these photos, they definitely need to be enlarged to see it all.

The camera on the locomotive was too cool.

I have not seen the second video yet.
I will follow the link.

I found a self-portrait in the first video.
Did you notice it?

Edit:
Perhaps I watched the second video.
The Part 1 video is the only one that shows up in your video list.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:59:48 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

cae2100

• STEAM
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2017, 06:00:29 AM »

I didnt really notice that part, but I know that I was on camera a time or two with the train ride, I was standing off to the side behind the barrier while the train went around, I dont like being on camera, but I thought the train ride was far too much fun to watch to really cut it all out, lol.

Most forums dim out the page and pops up the image with next/prev icons at the bottom left and close at bottom right. This forum is the only one that I know of that just makes them bigger in the page.

The screenshot that you have there was from the second part, which was saturday, and the first part was on the first page of pics that I started posting, so you may have seen both of them.

I have the second part as unlisted so that I can be lazy and do nothing for a few days to relax, and also have a video to release in a few days when it's time, lol. I also set it up like that so each video has time to get viewed rather than dumping a few out at a time and people only watching the last one to be uploaded, then asking questions about what was in the previous parts.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 06:04:53 AM by cae2100 »