CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: Engravings for Indicators  (Read 14156 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
Engravings for Indicators
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:19:31 AM »

Here are some engravings of indicators.
The indicator was the 1,800's version of the modern day automotive diagnostic computer.

With an indicator, you can detect multiple steam engine functions such as valve timing, steam leakage, etc.  The way that an indicator functions is there is a piece of paper (called the card) wrapped around the drum.  The pencil is attached to a small cylinder which is actuated by a pipe running to either end of the cylinder.  The drum is connected to a moving part of the engine via a cord, such that the drum rotates as the engine rotates.

An indicator diagram can be seen superimposed inside of the cylinder in the last diagram shown below.
All of the main valve timing events can be seen on the card.
Any problems with the valve timing, or other problems like broken piston rings, worn cylinder, etc. can be seen as irregularities on the card.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 09:27:19 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

farmerden

Re: Engravings for Indicators
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 03:27:22 AM »

That's what I needed when I timed that engine of mine! I hooked up air to the HP and adjusted the valve til the engine smoothed out ,then I repeated the procedure on the LP side of the engine.Boy do these steam engines use a lot of air!  I was going to make up a degree wheel on the front of the crankshaft but this method worked so well I didn't bother. As an aside, my engine starts by itself and reverses all without me touching it.I thought that was just normal operation but after seeing the trouble other engines have I guess I am indeed fortunate! ;D   Den