CLASSIC  STEAM  ENGINE  ENGINEERING

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

A SITE FOR THOSE INTERESTED IN OLD STEAM ENGINE TECHNOLOGY.

Author Topic: PHOTOS OF Bob's Steam Engines  (Read 7969 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
PHOTOS OF Bob's Steam Engines
« on: March 02, 2014, 07:01:41 PM »

Bob began building simple steam engines, and here are a few examples, along with the source drawings.

This is Bob's No.26, a design from a Raymond Yates book, and it used a Scottish yoke in lieu of a traditional crosshead.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:23:11 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
Re: BOB'S Steam Engines
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 07:17:41 PM »

Bob's No.25, a design from a Raymond Yates book.  This design which was the same design as the No.26 except it uses a standard crosshead in lieu of the Scottish Yoke.

You can see a progression from a simple engine designs to designs of ever-increasing complexity in the engines that Bob built.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:23:31 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 07:28:54 PM »

Bob J's No.17 small oscillator.  The name of the engine was "Grace".
The design for this engine I believe was published in the book "Home Made Steam Engines, Volume 1 - The Wobblers", Edward G. Warren, Camelback Books, 1998.

A young man was admiring Bob's No.17, and after a few minutes, Bob handed the boy the engine and said "It's yours".
Photo of the proud new owner below.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:23:46 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 07:32:52 PM »

This engine (Bob's No.23), was a vertical, single-cylinder, overhead piston valve parallel with the crankshaft, single flywheel, wood engine frame.
This engine was featured in "Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading" magazine, March/April, 2000, p.14.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:24:04 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 07:34:50 PM »

Bob J's No.27 twin oscillator.  The name of the engine is "Scoot".
The design for this engine was published in the book "Home Made Steam Engines, Volume 1 - The Wobblers", Edward G. Warren, Camelback Books, 1998.

Bob helped his grandson build this engine.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:24:21 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »

Bob J's beginner-intermediate steam engines grew larger, and began to gain some level of sophistication, as shown in these examples.
Bob J's No.7, 9, and 28 appear to be from the same design.

Oscillator No. 21 appears to be an advanced version of oscillator No.20.

The No.24 is a small oscillator with boiler.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:24:35 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:49:41 PM »

Bob's skills increased over time, and he moved to an intermediate level of model building, as can be seen by Bob's No.1, which is based on drawings from a Raymond Yates book.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:24:54 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »

As Bob's model steam engine building skills developed, he moved to an intermediate level of model building, as can be seen by his engines No.6, 8, 13, 18, 19.

Bob built a bar-stock version (Bob's No.19) of a toy boiler and steam engine (the Frisby) that was published in Live Steam Magazine, and the article included an excellent series on how to cast the boiler for this engine.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:25:26 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 08:04:22 PM »

Bob's skill level progressed with these engines.  Bob built his first Stepherson's link on the No.14 to allow reversing of the engine.

Bob began displaying his steam engines at local antique engine shows, and the interest he generated seemed to spur him on to try more advanced designs.

Here are Bob J's No. 10, 11, 12, 14, 15 and 16.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:25:55 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 08:17:20 PM »

Towards the later period of Bob J's steam engine building years, he moved into a phase which I call "the challenge" phase.

During this phase, Bob purchased a number of books from "Lindsay Technical Books", and began to correspond with the owner.

Lindsay would send Bob an engraving of an old steam engine, and Bob, within about a 1 month period, would draw the engine by hand, work out the geometry, build two engines, and return one engine to Lindsay.

Bob apparently sent a copy of his No. 02 (Bernay), and his No.21 (Scientific American) engines to Lindsay.

Here are Bob's No. 2 (Bernay, built in 2004), No. 3 (Direct Connect), No. 4 (Robertson Semi-Rotary), and No.21 (Scientific American) steam engines.

I believe Bob's Bernay construction photos (shown below) that were posted on the Lindsay book website in 2004 provided much of the information which assisted the development of another Bernay engine that was published in Live Steam Magazine in 2006.  The Live Steam Bernay article included drawings for an engine that was smaller than Bob's, and so that spurred me to create and post an accurate set of drawings for Bob's Bernay, which can be downloaded from this site.
It appears that most of the Bernay 3D models that can be seen on the GrabCad website are modified versions derived from the 2D drawings I produced for Bob's Bernay steam engine.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:26:14 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 08:56:53 PM »

This is Bob's version of the Dake steam engine.

I have created a 3D model for a Dake model steam engine that I intend to cast one day, and those 3D models can be seen in the 3D modeling tutorial section of this site.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:26:40 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 09:11:25 PM »

Bob was not content with mere steam engine models, and two of the Lindsay challenges was to build a Roper steam bicycle replica, and a Locomobile-type steam auto.

Bob ended up building two Roper replica steam bicycles, and a steam auto, and the auto and one of his Roper replicas are still operated at local antique engine shows in this region by one of Bob's long-time friends.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:27:06 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 09:16:57 PM »

Someone gave Bob a cylinder from an old steam hoist, and Bob fabricated all of the remaining parts to create a functional vertical steam engine.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:27:30 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 09:30:27 PM »

Bob's modeling interests included hot air engines, and he build three of those.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:27:45 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 09:33:46 PM »

Here is a montage of many of Bob's engines, along with a photo of Bob in his shop.

Bob made engines until the very end of his life, and completed all except the flywheel for his second Scientific American.

In one of the last conversations I had with Bob, he said to me "I guess this Scientific American flywheel will not get finished".
All I could say was "I don't know, maybe".  My engine building skills at the time were poor.
Ultimately I was able to get the Scientific American flywheel built, with great difficulty, and have been able to continue with Bob's hobby.

I am sure that Bob would appreciate some of his information getting handed down to the future generations of steam engine designers and builders.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:28:19 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:31 PM »

Here is Bob riding his Roper-repica steam bicycle, and having lots of fun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ic9IC4IRrag
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:28:44 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder

admin

• Administrator
  • Special Contributor
  • Central USA
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 10:37:06 PM »

Here are a few photos of Bob's 12'x12' home workshop, where he built most of his steam engines.

The photos reveal how Bob left his shop in 2006.
Many of Bob's engines can be seen in the photos stored on an upper shelf on the wall.  Other engines were displayed in his sitting room.
In the last photo, you can see his nearly completed Scientific American steam engine on the workbench as he left it.

I am sure Bob would be happy for others to see and perhaps learn from the enjoyable days he spent building steam engines.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:29:10 AM by admin »
Smarter not Harder